|“||I never had to kill anything. She always did that part.||”|
–Atreus about her mother while training as a hunter.
Atreus was conceived between Greek Godslayer Kratos and an unknown woman. His past has not been extensively revealed, however it is implied that he and his mother lived without Kratos for a time, as Kratos himself is unsure of the boy's hunting ability and did not teach his son himself. Sometime later, Kratos returns. It is shown that the mother had seemingly passed away, with reasons unclarified.
Some time after his mother's death, Atreus begins learning to hunt and kill with his father Kratos. Kratos also teaches him to fight, the boy taking up an assist role with his electrified arrows. Unlike Kratos, Atreus is not a born killer and seems to hesitate at the prospect of ending a life, even one of a monster attacking his father. He is, however, willing to fight. The two then began a quest to take her mother's ashes to the highest peak of the Nordic Realm.
Weapons & Powers
- Bow - He wields a bow and, provided he isn't distracted, is an accurate archer.
- Electrokinesis - Likely a result of being the grandson of Zeus, he has some abilities over electricity, as he is seen charging an arrow with electricity before firing it on an enemy.
- Superhuman Stamina - He is able to run long distances through the forest while showing no signs of fatigue.
Atreus is a young boy with brown hair. He has light freckling on his face and his eyes are an icy blue. He is dressed in leathers and hides of fur. He comes up to his father's hip and looks to be around ten years of age.
- Atreus is the first child of Kratos to be born after the death of the Olympian Gods and not be born in Greece.
- Much like his deceased half-sister Calliope, he may be 1/4 god and 3/4 human due to being the son of a demigod and a mortal mother.
- He is aware of his father's status as a Demigod but is oblivious to his father's past. Though the 2017 E3 Trailer implies he may learn the truth during the game.
- Before the Sony Livecast on June 14, 2016, Charlie was the codename Atreus received.
- Atreus is partially based in Creative Director Cory Barlog's own son. Aspects of the game like Atreus having to translate Old Norse to Kratos were inspired by real-life situations he had with his son.
- It has been confirmed at the second trailer, that he will be a playable character during certain segments of the game, marking the first time a character other than Kratos is playable in the God of War franchise.