|“||Hammer stained with the blood of the Barbarian King.||”|
The Barbarian Hammer was a slow but powerful close melee weapon originally wielded by the Barbarian King. Kratos later fights the Barbarian King in God of War II and takes the hammer to use for himself.
God of War IIEdit
It appears as a giant, bloodied, spiked hammer, and it also has the ability to summon Cursed Souls from the Underworld. The Barbarian Hammer comes in handy in tight spots where there happens to be many enemies. The hammer is extremely useful in situations where multiple enemies have been petrified, as one or two blows by the hammer can shatter nearly any enemy. By leveling up the weapon, a player can increase its damage power, and gain new abilities for it. Although slow and heavy in use, the Barbarian Hammer is, statistically speaking, the most powerful melee weapon in God of War II, next to the Blade of Olympus.
Orb Costs (God of War II)Edit
- Level 1 - N/A
- Level 2 - 4,500
- Level 3 - 17,500
Note: Kratos is unable to use his evasion roll with the Hammer, since the right analog stick is used to summon souls. This lack of agility combined with slow attacks of the Hammer may make it undesirable to some players. However, Kratos is able to switch his weapons mid-combo, so a player who has skill doing this may find no problem.
One particular combo which is of use to some players is the triangle + triangle combo; it is the Hammer's quickest combo and deals the safest amount of damage.
- Crushing Defeat - Slow multiple hit spin that rapidly gains speed. L1 + square
- Might of the King - A mighty overhead blow that creates a powerful wave in front of you, launching enemies into the air. L1 + triangle
- Might of the King (Air) - A mighty airborne overhead blow that creates a powerful wave in front of you, launching enemies into the air. L1
- Increased Damage
- Soul Summon - Flick the Right Analog Stick (R) to summon a Cursed Soul to do your bidding; (2 souls max.) Flick Right Analog Stick
- Increased Damage
- Legion of Souls - Call forth a legion of Cursed Souls to attack your unsuspecting enemies. L1 + circle
- Most of the Hammer's attacks were also used by the Barbarian King against Kratos, such as the shockwave of Might of the King, the multiple hits of Crushing Defeat, and the Soul Summon ability.
- For some reason, using the Barbarian Hammer to kill enemies usually produces Golden Orbs.
- When running and jumping, Kratos' speed and maneuverability barely deters.
- It is currently unknown what happened to the Hammer as Kratos traveled back in time and started the Second Great War, since neither the Spear of Destiny nor the Hammer are available in God of War III or in the battle with Zeus in God of War ll. It can be noted however that when he returned to the Loom Chamber, he regained access to the weapons.
- This could imply that, for an unexplained reason, neither the Barbarian Hammer nor the Spear of Destiny can travel through time and pass through the Mirrors of Destiny and were left at the Loom Chamber, having served their purpose anyway.
- The Barbarian Hammer is used by Kratos in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
- The Barbarian Hammer makes its reappearance in the multiplayer of God of War: Ascension as an unlockable weapon. It can be unlocked by performing a brutal kill on a minimum of 10 opponents. The Hammer is slightly redesigned, it's smaller than in God of War II and it isn't blood stained.
- The Barbarian Hammer and the Nemean Cestus are both the strongest weapons besides the Blade of Olympus in God of War II and God of War III respectively and both weapons are obtained by crushing the head of his previous owner with it.
The Barbarian Hammer can cause two notable glitches in Bonus Play:
- Along with the Blade of Olympus and the Spear of Destiny, a player can infinitely jump and do a combination of moves while holding the Barbarian Hammer in God of War II. This move was not intentionally inserted by programmers, and is considered a glitch.
- A glitch during bonus play can occur, which forces you to use the Barbarian Hammer or the Spear of Destiny rather than the Blade of Olympus during the Rhodes Statue fight. If you equip a Sub weapon other than the Blade of Olympus when attempting to pull the Blade out of the ground, the Sub Weapon you selected will have to be used inside the Statue. The Weapons aren't cosmetic as they still have their attacks, but when you have to stab the support column, Kratos will shove the Hammer/Spear into the column as if he were using the Blade of Olympus. Once you leap out of the mouth though, Kratos will be wielding the Blade as if he had it the entire time