|“||Zeus! Your son has returned! I bring the destruction of Olympus!||”|
In Greek mythology, Demigods and Demigoddess were mortals who were half-human and half-god. It is possible for there to be a child of two or more gods. This can happen when a god marries a mortal. When the other mortal marries a god, the two can come together. The two god's genes are mixed together into the child, resulting in a child of two or more gods. These beings possessed some of the powers of gods, though their immortality and invincibility is disputed when compared to actual gods. Many of the demigods in mythology were heroes, such as the legendary Hercules. Sometimes demigods were allowed to become true powerful Gods.
In the God of War Series
The demigods seen in the God of War are all powerful beings many of whom are great heroes. Sometimes, some of the demigods could be considered (or become) a rightful god themselves. The main character, Kratos, is a demigod, along with his brother, Deimos, being the sons of Zeus and Callisto. Because of that, they possessed great physical powers. Like another demigod, Hercules, Kratos eventually ended up becoming a full god himself, but in Hercules' case it only happened in mythology. Orkos, who is part god and part Fury, would be a unique half-god. Other demigods also appear in the games, such as heroes like Theseus and Perseus, and Peirithous. When Kratos ravaged Olympus in his quest for revenge, he had encountered and killed many of the known demigods.
- Kratos: Perhaps the greatest hero who becomes a God of War, and a son of Zeus. He then went on to kill some of the most important Greek gods like Hades, Zeus, Poseidon, Hermes, and Helios.
- Deimos: Brother of Kratos who was imprisoned in Death's Domain and a son of Zeus. Appears in God of War: Ghost of Sparta.
- Pollux: Son of Zeus and worshipped as a god along with his mortal twin brother Castor. After Castor's death, Pollux asked Zeus to share his immortality with him, keeping them together. Appears in God of War: Ascension.
- Orkos: Son of Ares and the Furies. An ally of Kratos and appears in Ascension.
- Theseus: Great Hero of Greece and son of Poseidon. Served the Sisters of Fate as their horsekeeper. Appears in God of War II.
- Perseus: Great Hero of Greece and a son of Zeus. Hoped to reach the Fates, to bring his love, Andromeda, back from Hades, but is killed by Kratos. Appears in God of War II.
- Hercules: Great Hero who completed twelve labors and ascended to Olympus and a son of Zeus. Appears in God of War III.
- Ceryx: Son of Hermes and a messenger God. Appears in God of War: Betrayal.
- Peirithous: Great Hero of Greece and a son of Zeus. Appears in God of War III.