A rather unique thing about the skin is that unlike the other skins for the game, the player can unlock this skin by simply completing the game on any difficulty. This easily makes this skin one of the easiest (and sometimes hardest), skins that the player is able to unlock.
With the skin equipped, Kratos' possesses the same appearance he had when entered his own mind at the end of the game during his battle with Zeus. Kratos' skin, armlets, eyes, boots, and loincloth are all now completley black and his tattoo now glows with a red aura. The Golden Fleece also dissappears while the skin is equipped. This is probably due to Zeus removing all of Kratos' equipment prior to attacking him.
Another unique attribute to the skin is that whenever Kratos is in an area with certain lighting, the skin seems to give off a white hue. This may emphasize Kratos being a specter when he was sent into his mind by Zeus.
If the player starts a new game with the skin equipped, Kratos will deal 400% damage to all enemies in the game. This even includes enemies that require quicktime events to kill and bosses.
Unfortunatly for Kratos (and the player), the skin also allows all enemies to deal 400% damage as well. This greatly reduces the amount of hits that Kratos is able to withstand, which forces Kratos to plan his movements more precisely instead of merely powering through enemies.
Benefits and PenaltiesEdit
The skin blesses the player with a massive damage buff to all of their attacks; even more so than the Dominus skin. This easily makes the Fear Kratos skin one of the most powerful skins in the entire series to date. With the skin equipped, combined with various upgrades to weapons, the player is able to almost effortlessly dominate the entire game surprisingly fast and defeat pretty much any enemy with only a few hits. Most weaker enemies die in just one or two hits, while stronger enemies are immediatly incapacitated.
The skins only drawback is that it also increases the damage delt by enemies to 400%. This can make it extremely difficult to take on multiple enemies at once and make boss battles nearly impossible; depending on the current difficulty the player is on. Since the player recieves a massive damage increase but also recieves a damage penalty, one can conclude that the Fear Kratos skin is best used for offensive manuvers rather than defensive. One of the best ways to successfully use the skin to its fullest would be to mainly utilize hit-and-run attacks on more powerful enemies so that you can quickly back out of a fight should your health reach a critical level. Pay attention to enemy movements and be sure to distance yourself from foes that are heavy hitters or from foes that have ranged attacks. Since your weapons deal massive damage, it won't take long for your enemies to quickly fall to your blades. As long as these tips are followed, then using the Fear Kratos skin in game will be much easier and make the game surprisingly more thrilling.
Oddly enough, should the player find and equip the Godly Possession Hercules' Shoulder Guard (which reduces overall damage by 1/3), the extra damage dealt by enemies is greatly reduced so that Kratos only takes a moderate amount of damage. Effectively eliminating the penalty for wearing the skin.
- In the Challenge of Exile, there is a challenge called "Fear Itself". The objective of the challenge is that you must fight and kill Fear Kratos.
- In the "Fear Itself" challenge, Fear Kratos appears to be wielding the Blades of Athena as his weapon.
- Fear Kratos is the only costume to be acquired by finishing God of War III. All other costumes are either acquired through pre-order, or by purchasing them in the PlayStation Store.
- In God of War Ghost of Sparta, one of the challenges of Athena is named Fear Kratos, where Kratos has to make ten Atlantis citizens cower before him.
- In the new game Mortal Kombat, Fear Kratos is an unlockable costume for Kratos by completing the ladder as Kratos. Although it looks slightly different as it still retains the Golden Fleece.
- The Dark Odyssey costume in God of War II is similar to the Fear Kratos costume, however, the Dark Odyssey costume has a gold tattoo that doesn't glow.
- In PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, for both his default costume and the Morpheus Armor, Fear Kratos appears as an alternate color. If it is Fear Kratos wearing the Morpheus armour then the metal and cape turn white.
- Fear Kratos appears in the God of War III de-make, Bit of War, as a manifestation of the darkness residing within Kratos' soul.[[Apollo (costume)|]]
Other Additional CostumesEdit
The other bonus costumes for God of War III are:
- Apollo (Costume)
- Phantom of Chaos (Costume)
- Forgotten Warrior
- Dominus (Costume)
- Morpheus Armor
- Deimos (Costume)
|God of War: Ascension:||Default | Olive Skin Kratos | Battle Armor of Ares | Fury Armor | War Armor of Hades | Kraken Armor | Skorpian Armor | Battle Armor of Zeus|
|Chains of Olympus:||Default | Spud of War | McKratos | Mime of War|
|God of War:||Defualt | Chef of War | Bubbles | Tycoonius | Dairy Bastard | Ares Armor|
|Ghost of Sparta:||Default | Kratos Legionnaire | Ghost of Sparta | God of War Armor | Robotos | Deimos | Grave Digger|
|God of War II:||Default | Cod of War | Hydra Armor | Dark Odyssey | Athena | Hercules | General Kratos | God of War Armor|
|God of War III:||Default | Apollo | Phantom of Chaos | Forgotten Warrior | Dominus | Morpheus Armor | Deimos | Fear Kratos|
|Ascension:||King Leonidas Set | Odysseus Set | Orion Set | Achilles Set | Perseus Set | Champion Set | Typhon Set | Phobos Set | Artemis Set | Kraken Set | Athena Set|
|Characters:||Kratos | Perseus | Hercules | Grave Digger | Deimos | Athena | Apollo | Morpheus|