God of War: Ascension is the next installment in the popular God of War series, set for a 2013 release. It is the seventh game of the series, and will chronologically be the first chapter in the series, forming part of a saga with vengeance as a central theme.
It will predate Kratos' entire reign as the god of war, and supposedly features a timeline roughly six months after Kratos' unintentional killing of his wife and daughter. If confirmed, possible flashbacks could also occur, seeing as how this timeline follows his allegiance to Ares, which was already addressed in the original God of War.
It will mark a new chapter in Kratos' story, as its listing notes to "Join Kratos as he takes his first steps on a now legendary quest for freedom, redemption, and the clarity to avenge his family in the most ambitiuous God of War adventure in the series so far."
According to eurogamer, the single-player will feature a "revamped" combat and weapon system, "promptless" mini-games and new puzzles. Sony stated the game will offer "fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios", although the story is apparently shorter than previous games.
The multiplayer part of Ascension, will feature multi-level arenas, where several players can fight one another. One specific level requires players to kill each other, while a chained "megaclope", Polyphemus, interferes whenever players come too close. The multiplayer will most likely not allow not split-screen possibilities, but instead pan out whenever needed to actively show all participants.
Items and abilities
- Blades of Chaos: The cursed blades given to Kratos by Ares as symbol of his servitude. These carved swords look quite similar to the Blades of Athena in God of War III, only silver instead of gold.
- Enemy weapons: Kratos can carry now the weapons of his opponents as secondary weapon. In the E3 demo, Kratos steals the sword of a satyr and later, the spear of another group of satyrs.
- Life Cycle: Life Cycle is a new magic or relic used in God of War: Ascension. It is a green beam that can wrap time around the object or enemy it hit. Kratos uses this ability to reconstruct a elevator, which is destroyed by the Charybdis. When he used on enemies, they are freezed in time for a while; so if they are in the sky, they remain there as long as the magic works.
- New Rage ability: If Kratos presses his blades in the ground, a circle of fire surrounds around him and destroys his enemies.
- Satyrs: The satyrs have new design in the upcoming game, looking even more goatlike and are muscular.
- Satyr General: This Satyr is bigger than his fellow satyrs and wields a bigger sword. He commands them, similar to the Centaur General leads the Olympus Sentries and Legionnaires.
- Hades Talos: This new type of Talos are dressed in similar style of the God of the Underworld. Their head is also styled like helmet of Hades and as they are activated, their hammers start to glow like heated metal. They are also killed in exact the same way as the Stone Talos in GoW III.
- Elephantaur: This new monstrosity makes a similar appears as Geryon and is based on the unused concept art of the elephant Juggernaut from GoW III. Kratos kills him by cutting open his head and expose his brain.
- Cyclops Berserker: In leaked footage of the multiplayer of God of War: Ascension (see below for the clip), we see one of Poseidon's champion prepare himself for battle and is attacked by a grey/green cyclops, wielding the same club as the Berserkers in GoW III. More likely they will appear in the single player as well.
- Charybdis: Charybdis is shown in the E3 demo of God of War: Ascension. Looking similar to the Kraken, she has large tentacles and tries to kill Kratos on several occasions during the demo. At the end of the demo, we see Kratos running over one of the creature's tentacles and charge to her giant mouth underwater. If we look very carefully, we see parts of something like a horn, similar to the Scylla in God of War: Ghost of Sparta.
Following Amazon's leak, game director Todd Papy wrote on the official PlayStation Blog, promising 'a glimpse of what’s in store for God of War: Ascension' during a livestream event, which took place on Monday, April 30. A new God of War: Ascension page on the Sony Playstation facebook page also holds a trailer, and pre-order link to BestBuy.
The game currently has a Spring 2013 release date pegged on its official PlayStation page.
- The announcement trailer is voiced by the Titan Gaia. It tells about a time during Kratos' life before he was made the "Ghost of Sparta", when he was no longer bound in blood.
- Guardian article (detailing multiplayer experiences)
- David Jaffe discusses Ascension (IGN article)
- Gamespot Multiplayer reveal article