The Guardian Shield is a retractable shield seen in God of War present inside a gauntlet on Kratos' left arm. It is used to parry and block enemy attacks and can also be used offensively in combination with the Blades of Chaos and Kratos' fists. It has its own skill tree and can be upgraded.
Kratos can unlock various skills linked to the Guardian Shield, including counterattacks, move-sets, and more.
- Block Break - Double tap L1 to break an enemy’s block.
- Countering Strike - Press R1 after a last-second block to counter the attack with a powerful shield strike.
- Countering Crush - Press R2 after a last second block to counter the attack with a shield slam.
- Countering Blast - Blocking a projectile attack at the last second absorbs the impact and redirects projectile back at the attacker.
- Guardian Sweep - While Bare-handed, Hold R1 to sweep enemies off their feet and inflict a moderate amount of Stun damage.
- Guardian’s Justice - While Bare-Handed, Hold R2 to preform a shield slam and inflict a moderate amount of Stun damage.
- Guardian's Judgement - Press R2 after preforming the Guardian’s Justice shield slam to add a concussive blast to the attack that inflicts a massive amount of Stun damage on enemies.
- Agile Strike - While Bare-Handed and evading, Hold L Stick forward to press R1 to preform a quick attack
- Haymaker Crush - While sprinting Bare-Handed, Press R1 to preform a powerful running haymaker attack
- Shoulder Barrage - While sprinting Bare-Handed, Press R2 to preform a powerful shoulder ram attack that sends enemies fling back.
- Guardian’s Revenge - Switch stances by pausing momentarily after any Bare-Handed attack. Once in a new stance, Press R1 to preform a powerful uppercut. Press R1 again to preform a follow up slam attack.
- Guardians Fury - Switch stances by pausing momentarily after any Bare-Handed attack. Once in a new stance, Press R2 to preform a leaping shield attack. After the shield attack, Press R1 to preform a follow-up slam attack.
- The Guardian Shield is a gift given to Kratos by his beloved wife on the anniversary of the night they met.
- This shield takes the place of the Golden Fleece, used by Kratos long before and was destroyed. Like the Golden Fleece it could absorb attacks and redirect them back.
- Similar to the Fleece, the shield could deflect projectiles back and helps Kratos execute counter-attacks after well-timed parries
- However, unlike the Golden Fleece which could absorb all types of attacks, physical, long range, to even magic, The Guardian Shield can only redirect some attacks before Kratos defences are breached.