|“||Take the Ice of Poseidon and you will find your path.||”|
The Ice of Poseidon is an elemental power in God of War: Ascension.
God of War: AscensionEdit
|“||Summon the Ice of Poseidon to break blocks. Also allows breathing underwater.||”|
It is used to break blocks and freeze enemies. The Ice of Poseidon can also summon glaciers to damage foes and also has the ability to freeze enemies then instantly kill them by shattering them.
The power yields large amounts of red orbs when it's used to freeze and shatter enemies.
- Level 1 - n/a
- Level 2 - 1,250 Orbs
- Level 3 - 1,750 Orbs
- Level 4 - 2,000 Orbs
- Level 5 - 4,000 Orbs
- Poseidon's Fury - A powerful combo that sends the enemy flying back - Square, Square, Square, Square
- Plume of Poseidon - A quick and powerful combo that causes ice spikes to emerge from underneath the ground - Square, Square, Triangle
- Broken Destiny - Kratos slams both Blades together creating deadly ice shards - L1 + Square
- Broken Destiny (Air) - Kratos slams both Blades together creating deadly ice shards - L1 + Square (Air)
- Immovable Blast - Kratos impales enemies with his Blades and blasts the power of Poseidon into chained foes - R3 + L3
- Immovable Blast (Air) - Kratos impales enemies with his Blades and blasts the power of Poseidon into chained foes - R3 + L3 (Air)
- Poseidon Tremble - Kratos slams both chains down creating an ice wave - L1 + Triangle
- Poseidon Tremble (Air) - Kratos slams both chains down creating an ice wave - L1 + Triangle (Air)
- Eye of the Storm - Summon a tempest of ice that has the power to freeze and damage multiple enemies - R2
- Eye of the Storm (Air) - Summon a tempest of ice that has the power to freeze and damage multiple enemies - R2 (Air)
- In God of War: Ghost of Sparta, the main magic attack of the weapon Eye of Atlantis is called "Eye of the Storm".
- Theseus in God of War II had the power to summon spires of ice from the ground, it is possible he gained this power from Poseidon.
- Even coming from a Poseidon's gift, for the first time in the series, the ability to breath underwater comes from an item other than any trident. This could be because the creative team wanted to come with something new rather than use an item that Kratos just finds later chronologically (Triton's Lance in Chains of Olympus and the Poseidon's Trident in God of War) and cause contradictions in the storyline.
- Ascension is the first game of the Series in which the freezing power Kratos has (the head of a gorgon or an artifact with ice powers) isn't able to freeze any enemy in the game: the Ice of Poseidon can only freeze small and weak enemies, such as Parasites, Harpies and Satyrs. Any enemy that is more powerful than these ones, such as Sirens, Gorgons and Elephantaurs, can't be frozen and shattered, only be slowed down temporally for being covered with ice. Some enemies, such as the Chimera, are quickly frozen but break out of the ice instantly.
- In Multiplayer, however, servants of Poseidon can freeze any enemy with their magic, no matter how powerful or big they are. To shatter bigger enemies, however, they need help most of the times, since their statues are too hard to be shattered by only one player.
- Curiously, in this same game, the gaze of the Gorgons seems to be able to freeze any enemy: if Kratos can stun (gold halo) a Gorgon and grab it, he'll slam her to the ground and make her release a powerful gaze blast, which is able to freeze other Gorgons, Sirens etc. However, like in Multiplayer, these enemies' statues are usually too strong for Kratos to shatter, and these enemies usually break out of the stone before Kratos can kill them.