|“||Weapon of the Dark Rider, pulled from the Griffin's corpse.||”|
The Spear of Destiny is a weapon acquired by Kratos in God of War II after he killed the Dark Rider, who wielded it, and much later found his dead Griffin, and in it the spear itself.
The spear is a magical weapon with purple crystals infused in its ends, which can be used to pierce enemies and even create more explosive crystals. It also has the ability to extend and retract itself for greater range for attacks.
On the way to the Titan Typhon and again when he is arriving at the Island of Creation, the Dark Rider appears and attacks Kratos with the Spear of Destiny. Kratos then jumps onto the Dark Griffin after his Pegasus is killed and counterattacks the Dark Rider. He stabs him numerous of times and takes the Spear of Destiny. From there, he spears the Dark Griffin and chops its wing off sending it crashing to the ground.
When Kratos travels across the Island of Creation, he comes across the body of the dead Griffin in the Lowlands and takes the Spear of Destiny as his own. One can then level up this weapon to increase its power and to gain new abilities for it.
Disapearance in God of War IIIEdit
With the high probability (nearly approximate) that Kratos still held possession of the weapon along with other weapons in the second installment, it is strange given that GoW III is a direct sequel to GoW II that Kratos was never seen utilizing them, let alone he still have them. Even though the reason of the spear's absence in GoW III was never officially clarified until now, the greatest chance that Kratos lost this spear and the other weapons unmentioned before was when Zeus blasted Kratos and Gaia with a giant Thunderbolt, thus blowing the spear away from Kratos' grip, along with Barbarian's Hammer, Euryale's head and Typhoon's Bane, while the inability of said weapons/magic to be used by Kratos in the start of the series was caused by Kratos' disconcern of them since he held possession of the Blade of Olympus that would make the befores seemed obsolete in functionality or he was just to distracted to use any of them . Given the fact that Zeus was able to deliver a strike powerful enough to completely disarm Kratos in God of War III, this would likely happen to the spear as it happened to all weapons in the said installment. If the above speculation would be proven correct then the spear would be somewhere below the rings of Mount Olympus, or even the underworld, with Kratos reluctant to search for it as he would not likely to postpone his vengeance for some non-mandatory arms.
|“||Wielded by a Dark Rider of the Fates, this spear was thought long in the Island of the Creation||”|
In God of War: Ascension, a redesigned Spear of Destiny can be obtained in the Multiplayer mode, unlocked by opening white chests in any game mode. The Spear of Destiny here is used for controlling the movement of enemy players, by pulling them towards the player or placing hazards to discourage reckless charges.
- Level 1 - n/a
- Level 2 - 3,750 Orbs
- Level 3 - 12,500 Orbs
- Deadly Slash - Slash the Spear in a wide arc striking multiple enemies. L1 + square
- Piercing Shards - Fire a volley of razor sharp projectiles. L1 + triangle
- Piercing Shards (Air) - Fire a volley of razor sharp projectiles while airborne. L1
- Increased Damage
- Unfortunate Remains - Use the Spear to create deadly hazards that will explode upon enemy contact. L1 + O
- Increased Damage
- Altering Slash - Slash the Spear in a wide arc. One enemy who is struck will explode after a short time. L1 + square
- Piercing Fortune - Release a large elemental blast that yanks enemies towards you and sets them up for combos. L1 + Square
- Altering Fate - Create a hazardous mine with delayed detonation that launches enemies. L1 + Triangle
- Along with the Barbarian Hammer and the Blade of Olympus, the Spear of Destiny can be used to infinitely jump, accompanied by a combination of moves, in God of War II. This move was not intentionally inserted by programmers, and is considered a glitch.
- In Christian Religion, the Spear of Destiny was a mythological spear which is said to have pierced the heart of Jesus Christ through his side, whilst He hung on the cross.
- If the Spear seem in the game is the same one that pierced Jesus Christ's heart, then it's probable that its former owner, the Dark Rider, had some relation with this event. Since the Rider himself isn't a mythologic character and his origins are unknown, this can be considered a hypotesis for his story.
- It is never revealed what happened to the Spear as Kratos traveled back in time and started the Second Great War, since neither the Spear nor the Barbarian Hammer are available in God of War III.
- If the Spear is examinated closely, it's possible to see that it constantly extends and retracts itself while Kratos is holding it, even when he's not using it in a combat.
- The Spear of Destiny is available as an item in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, any of the characters can use it as a weapon.