|“||Weapon of the Dark Rider, pulled from the Griffin's corpse.||”|
The spear is a magical weapon with purple crystals infused in its ends, which can be used to pierce enemies and even create more explosive crystals. It also has the ability to extend and retract itself for greater range for attacks.
On the way to the Titan Typhon and again when he is arriving at the Island of Creation, the Dark Rider appears and attacks Kratos with the Spear of Destiny. Kratos then jumps onto the Dark Griffin after his Pegasus is killed(unknown) and counterattacks the Dark Rider. He stabs him numerous of times and takes the Spear of Destiny. From there, he spears the Dark Griffin and chops its wing off sending it crashing to the ground.
When Kratos travels across the Island of Creation, he comes across the body of the dead Griffin in the Lowlands and takes the Spear of Destiny as his own. One can then level up this weapon to increase its power and to gain new abilities for it.
- Deadly Slash - Slash the Spear in a wide arc striking multiple enemies. L1 + square
- Piercing Shards - Fire a volley of razor sharp projectiles. L1 + triangle
- Piercing Shards (Air) - Fire a volley of razor sharp projectiles while airborne. L1
- Increased Damage
- Unfortunate Remains - Use the Spear to create deadly hazards that will explode upon enemy contact. L1 + O
- Increased Damage
- Altering Slash - Slash the Spear in a wide arc. One enemy who is struck will explode after a short time. L1 + square
- Along with the Barbarian Hammer and the Blade of Olympus, the Spear of Destiny can be used to infinitely jump in God of War II when accompanied by a combination of moves. This was not intentionally inserted by programmers and is considered a glitch.
- In Christian Mythology Saint Longinus pierced the side of Jesus in the cross to make sure he was dead.The spear he used is a important relic in Christianity and has many names like Holy Lance, Lance of Longinus, and also Spear of Destiny, but there is no apparent relation between the weapon in the game and the weapon in The Gospel of John. This is possibly alluded to in the game guide's description of the spear as containing the power of an unknown god.
- It is never revealed what happened to the Spear as Kratos traveled back in time and started the Second Great War, since neither the Spear or the Barbarian Hammer are available in God of War III.
- If the Spear is examined closely, it's possible to see that it constantly extends and retracts itself while Kratos is holding it, even when he's not using it in a combat.
- The Spear of Destiny is available as an item in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, any of the characters can use it as a weapon.
- The spear is accessible in God of War Ascension's Multiplayer.